www.iwxindia.com
December 2013

Our focus this month is on the Habitat Shot and its significance in wildlife photography. One of the most essential elements of wildlife photography is capturing the animal in its natural environment. Habitat photography retains the essence of nature, thereby differentiating it from zoo photography. The main criterion for a Habitat Shot is the placement of the animal in the frame in a way that enhances its attractiveness and results in a better composition and image of the animal.

Be sure to remember that in Habitat Shots, the subjects cover just 10% to 20% of the frame while the remaining 80% of the image showcases the environment to which the animal belongs. There is plenty of scope to unleash your creative potential in Habitat photography since you get to decide the position of the animal in the entire frame. The composition of the frame matters a lot in wildlife photography and in case of Habitat Shots, the better the composition, the better your image will be.

The beauty of Habitat Shots can best be appreciated only when they have been properly enlarged. This shot of a wild ass in particular provides a good example of the Habitat Shot. The image was captured in the Ladakh region, en route to Lake Tso Morari and perfectly depicts the breath-taking beauty of the area. The creature occupies just a section of the lower portion of the image which leaves us free to view the pristine background but this never detracts us from the actual subject matter but rather increases our appreciation for the animal.

Indian Roller
Coraciasbenghalensis

Introduction - The Blue Jay happens to be a prominent member of the Roller family of birds. The Indian Roller appears to be a riot of indigo, bright blue and turquoise colours during flight. It looks stunning when it spreads its wings wide and soars in the sky. Its distinguishing feature happens to be its harsh, crow-like call. The Indian Roller dives into an open source of water to bathe itself and this behaviour may often be misinterpreted as fishing.

Size -  In terms of size, the Indian Roller is a stocky bird measuring almost 26-27 cm in length.

Presence - The Blue Jay can be found in most parts of India. It is usually seen at the outskirts of major cities extending from the North of the country to the South, perched atop electrical wires and trees along the roadside. The Indian Roller resides in scrub forest and open grassland habitats at lower elevation. This bird is not migratory in nature but does exhibit some seasonal movements.

The tiger is one of the greatest hunters of the animal kingdom. No amount of information on this nocturnal animal or its beautiful world can be considered enough for tiger lovers around the globe. Despite its imposing beauty, the body of the tiger is built to kill right from the shape of its sleek torso to its powerful jaws and raw strength. Therefore, the tiger has often been referred to as the ultimate killing machine.

Apart from its powerful tools, the most interesting element of the tiger is its selection of hunting ground. Being extremely sharp-sighted creatures, the tiger relies on the element of surprise to kill its prey.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra, India

Located in the state of Maharashtra, the sprawling Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve happens to be one of the best National Parks in the country for viewing tigers, sloth bears and wild dogs. The region offers the most visible tiger sightings in the state of Maharashtra. The entire area remains shrouded in thick forest cover and there are numerous corridors connecting the area to other small parks and reserves in the vicinity. Tourists can expect to see plenty of tigers and other animals in the Park but compared to some of the other wildlife reserves in the country, Tadoba Andhari is less crowded..

Head Office
28-32, Ground Floor, Rectangle-1, Distt. Centre Saket, New Delhi - 110017
Tel: + 49799 700 Fax: +91-11-43799 799 Mobile: +91 7838388090
E-mail: info@iwx.co.in web: www.iwxindia.com

Pune Office
PL No. 35, 13 Alankapuri Shree, Rambaug Colony, Off Paud Road, Pune - 411038, Maharashtra, India
Mobile: +91 - 7838388090, 9850477695